Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Really Goode Job Pt.2







Last Friday I was on top of the world. The recruiter for Murphy-Goode had sent me an email requesting a phone interview to help determine the top 50 candidates. Naturally, I select the first available slot. I nervously await the call and miss my little sister’s graduation from USC. I answer the routine questions and then we speak a bit more candidly about the position and the interview process. I’m feeling good. Despite the shoddy quality of my video, I stood out enough to get the phone interview. AND, on the Murphy-Goode website, my video is a hit! The winemaker, David Ready Jr., will be in Los Angeles on Sunday for a meet and greet. I ask if I will be turned away as I have already submitted an application and video? No, no, of course not. She encourages me to go.

Over the weekend, I try on outfits. My neighbors vote. Tori Burch and a pair of old white Citizens with heels are deemed Wine Country fabulous. I arrive early. Anticipating a shit storm like there was in SF, Christine the Mini-Cooper and I roll in early. Like embarrassingly early. I wander around The Wine House (http://www.wineaccess.com/store/winehouse). Danger. Me, wine, gourmet foods + credit card = no good! Eventually, I pick up a basket and spend a bunch of money I don’t have on wine and a book I don’t need. I just can’t help myself?

I move upstairs. As luck would have it, Dave is also from Minneapolis. Turns out Dave and I have more than one connection. You see, I have something of a gold card in the Beverage Industry of Mlps. While these connections may have no relevance to this position, I’m bursting to tell him about our less than two degrees of separation. I lived next door to some influential people, the Phillips/Farrells. Point taken. We move on. Next comes hockey. He’s from Edina. I’m from Minnetonka. One of the biggest high school hockey rivalries known to mankind. Words escape me when it comes to describing what hockey means to a Minnesotan. Liar’s dice and Brett Favre are irrelevant when it comes to Edina vs. Mtka.

Candidates start filling the room. At some point, I feel like I’m on an episode of Bachelorette. Time for me to leave. I collect my new belongings and say my adieu – I try to share a “secret” find with Dave - he cannot accept gifts. I get it. Another candidate suggests chilling the wine in the chilling MACHINE downstairs and bringing it up to the tasting room. Duh?? Great idea!

A buyer sits at a desk behind this GENIUS chilling machine. Turns out he is the German buyer. I’ve selected a Washington State Riesling by K Vintners of Walla Walla. He’s impressed with my selection. Winery is sold out. I’ve been all over town, trying to snatch up bottles (http://www.kvintners.com/wines). I know Murphy-Goode and this producer are kindred souls. I share the Riesling with Dave and a few of his wine reps. Seems I have a good palate, as the wine is well received. A Russian girl taps the winemaker on the shoulder “excuse me, can I steal you for a minute”? Oh that’s right, I was leaving ...

Dave tries to give me the Hornet’s Cheer as a good-bye. . .

2 comments:

  1. This is sooo cool, you have such a "home" advantage. How are your spirits holding up, I mean, this was a few weeks ago... and there are a few weeks more to go!

    It is a fascinating process and wonderful to meet all you Murphy-Goode hopefuls along the way. I know I will come away enriched and much more knowledgeable when the dice are down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, keep reading and you to learn more about this crazy little adventure to Healdsburg!

    ReplyDelete