Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wine + Ice Cream = A Match Made In Heaven







Wine + Ice Cream = A Match Made In Heaven

I hesitate to write this post, as I feel I am compromising my creativity. Another Saturday at Venice Beach Wines. But, if you are a foodie you will know that Truck Food is all the rage right now. Hot Dog Truck, Korean Truck, BBQ truck and now an Ice Cream Truck. Last Saturday, I spotted no less than 3 of these trucks on Abbott Kinney. Every blogger in the city had mentioned that the latest and greatest, Cool Haus, Ice Cream Sandwiches would be at my office latter in the day. Naturally, I had to go. I’m sure that Murphy-Goode would find me a more rounded blogger/reporter if were submitting content that related to places other than Venice Beach Wines(http://www.venicebeachwines.com/), however due to the colossal frenzy the old roach coach has created, I’ve deemed it worthy of a post. Why not? Nothing better than MORE wine with dessert! It’s not just for dinner anymore.

It’s unseasonably warm this Saturday. Venice is at its finest around the post-beach, pre-sunset hours. By the time the Cool Haus (http://www.eatcoolhaus.com/) truck arrives at Venice Beach Wines, people are anxiously pacing around. A kitschy truck, all done up with photos of famous post-modern buildings and architects parks in front. You choose an ice cream flavor and a cookie flavor, “building” your own ice cream sandwich. Or select one of their “pre-fab” flavors. The “building” process here is the shtick with the name and theme. Freya and Natasha are architects and foodies. Cleaver and creative, if you ask me.

I choose the oatmeal raisin cookie with cinnamon ice cream. It’s sundown-thirty now, which to me, means time for the bubbly. I decide on the Chateau Saint Pierre, from Provence. It has nothing to with my ice cream selection but, I have a thing about pink champagne (and yes, I drink tons of roses, blush wines – even the fauxpas “white zinfandel” with gusto) and this cheap but, cheerful glass is recession priced! I often don’t follow “wine rules” so it doesn’t bother me that this mostly floral wine is not a match for my sweet, and somewhat spicy ice cream delight. I’m just excited to be drinking champagne with me two favorite sweet treats. It’s the perfect ending to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment